But for others, the love of trade shows runs so deep that the only thing that will get it out of their blood is embalming fluid. Could that be you? Here are 19 signs that you’re addicted to trade shows:
- You go to Vegas for a bachelor party at Mandalay Bay, but rather than hit the casino, you want to go check out the show floor.
- You don’t feel right washing your hair with shampoo that doesn’t come out of a one-ounce bottle.
- You wear a show lanyard around your neck…at home.
- When you meet someone new at your office, instead of asking for their business card, you ask them if you can scan their badge.
- When you hear someone say, “He’s a B.S. artist,” you think it’s a compliment about booth staffing skills.
- You expect everyone to know what drayage means.
- You think all client meetings should be only 10 minutes long and held standing up.
- Your living room has a strip of red carpet 10 feet wide going through it.
- You think Morgan Freeman lives in Dallas.
- You named your cat “Orlando” and your dog “McCormick.”
- You don’t have a problem with trade shows that start on the weekend.
- You’ve tried to talk your spouse into relocating to Las Vegas.
- You don’t feel too guilty about missing your kid’s birthday party for your industry’s main trade show.
- You think nothing about paying $11.50 for a hot dog and soda.
- You pride yourself that you can set up your trade show display in 5 minutes.
- You can remember your exhibit house’s phone number easier than the date of your anniversary.
- If you are actually in your hometown when the local Auto or Home show takes place, you never miss them.
- You get mad and launch into a fact-filled tirade when someone casually questions the value of trade shows.
- When you finally redeem some of your vast stockpile of frequent flyer miles, you take a vacation in Las Vegas, Orlando, or Chicago.
I started writing this post in my head before remembering two similar (and better) blog posts that certainly inspired me: the talented Christina Stallings’ “13 Telltale Signs You’re an Event or Trade Show Professional” and the energetic Emilie Barta’s post, “You Know You Are An Event Professional When …”
Did you recognize yourself in any of these signs? Got more of your own? Share your own signs you’re addicted to trade shows in the comment box below. Go ahead, it’s alright. You’ll feel better.
If you’re addicted to shows, the best therapy is the free 32-page white paper report, What’s Working In Exhibiting. Click here to get your copy.